A Brief History of the OSA


Text in image: 

1935: The North Carolina legislature passes NCGS Chapter 70 "Indian Antiquities Law" protecting archaeological resources on public lands and encouraging the public to participate in the preservation of all cultural resources.

1939: The Archaeological Society of North Carolina, State Museums, State Parks, and UNC-Chapel Hill worked together to develop a "statewide comprehensive archaeological project" for the documentation and protection of our state's archaeological resources.  

1955: NCGS Chapter 121 compels the NC Department of Archives and history to acquire and protect property of archaeological or historical significance.  

1962: The salvage of Modern Greece by the US Navy and Department of Archives and History leads to the establishment of an underwater archaeology program and preservation lab at Fort Fisher, NC.  

1963: The first Departmental Archaeologist position is created within Historic Sites.  

1967: The "Salvage of Abandoned Shipwrecks and Other Underwater Archaeological Sites" Act protects NC's thousands of shipwrecks and underwater sites from looting.  

1973: House Bill 1045 officially establishes the Archaeology Section as a state office.  

1981: The Archaeological Resources Protection Act ensures that archaeological sites and burials are respected and preserved for present and future generations.  

1991: The position of State Archaeologist is responsible for the oversight of all archaeological activities on state land and encouraging education and public outreach.  

1997: The OSA Research Center opens as a repository for artifact collections from across the state.  

Today: We protect and share the states rich and diverse history through the application of state and federal laws, maintaining archaeological data and artifact collections, and providing professional guidance.