The North Carolina Office of State Archaeology will hold a Public Archaeology Day at the Wire Pasture Access of Lumber River State Park on Saturday, April 28, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The Wire Pasture is located at 11765 US 74 Highway W, Maxton, N.C.
Office of State Archaeology staff will join other DNCR departments for this event intended to promote and disseminate information on the benefits of formal and higher education among the Hispanic youth of North Carolina.
On March 1, OSA staff will present "Government to Government Collaboration: Protecting North Carolina’s Cultural Resources." On March 2, OSA staff will be available to provide information on our office at a booth.
The Ailey Young house was built in 1875 by Professor William G. Simmons of Wake Forest as a part of a group of tenant farm houses known as “Simmons Row.” After his death in 1895, his widow, Mary Elizabeth, sold the house to Ailey Young, a married African-American woman.